I. Training Objectives
The Software Engineering majors aims to cultivate high-quality application-oriented professionals who can adapt to technological progress and changes in social needs, meet the needs of informatisation construction, have all-round morality, intellectual, and physical development, and are capable of effectively using engineering knowledge and technical principles to solve complex engineering technical problems in the field of software engineering. It is hoped that they can undertake software-related technical research, product development, and operation and maintenance services.
II. Training Standards
- Years of study: Two years of schooling for this major, eight years of part-time study, minimum length of study of two and a half years.
- Forms of study: open education
- Total class hours and credits: 1,296 class hours, 72 credits
- Knowledge, ability, and quality requirements:
1) Knowledge and ability requirements
(1) Graduates should have a solid grasp of the mathematics, natural sciences, computational science, engineering, and software engineering expertise necessary to take part in software engineering projects. They should be able to apply this knowledge to the design, implementation, and deployment of software engineering projects.
(2) Graduates should have abstract logical thinking and computational thinking skills, and be able to apply the basic principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences related to software engineering disciplines to identify, express, and analyse software engineering problems through literature research to obtain effective conclusions.
(3) Graduates should have a basic mastery of software engineering knowledge, professional theories, and methods, and have the ability to solve practical problems in software engineering by completing practical projects with increasing degree of difficulty and comprehensiveness. They should have awareness of innovation in the engineering field and the ability to complete innovative practical courses. The contents of comprehensive practice projects should stem come from the product-level design and development needs of software companies, so that students can gain a comprehensive understanding of the social, health, safety, legal, cultural, and environmental factors in engineering design.
(4) Graduates should be able to understand the basic principles of software engineering disciplines; be able to use software engineering methods to model, analyse, design, and test software engineering problems; and obtain and use experimental results to analyse and optimise models.
(5) Graduates should have a solid grasp of the foundations of project management, be proficient in applying project management-related tools, methods, and management techniques in major project management activities, and have mastered project management applications.
(6) Graduates should possess humanities and social science literacy and a sense of social responsibility, and be able to understand and abide by professional software engineering ethics and norms. They should respect the laws and regulations related to the software industry, and pay special attention to the impact of software engineering practices on the environment and sustainable development, respecting and protecting intellectual property rights and consciously maintaining cyberspace security.
(7) Graduates should be trained in aspects such as management, service, communication, and collaboration in order to ensure that they have good teamwork skills and effective interpersonal communication. The major should focus on cultivating students' organisation and coordination skills.
(8) Through practical projects and corporate internships, graduates should be able identify and understand the characteristics of new software engineering knowledge, technologies, and methods, which will help them realise a stable career. Graduates should have independent learning and lifelong learning abilities.
(9) Graduates should be dedicated to work, be truth-seeking, observe relevant disciplines and laws, be capable of unity and cooperation, and have good moral cultivation and social and professional ethics.
(10) Graduates should be able to use basic principles and techniques to analyse, design, verify, confirm, implement, apply, and maintain complex software systems, as well as develop and manage software systems.
III. Main courses
Basic Computer Applications (for undergraduates), Basic Software Mathematics, Basic Programming, Operating System, Data Structure (for undergraduates), Object-oriented Program Design, Database Application Technology, Software Engineering, Software Design and Architecture, Software Project Management.
The minimum number of credits required to graduate from this major is 72. Graduates who obtain the required number of credits and meet the moral education requirements will be awarded a nationally-recognised undergraduate graduation certificate of higher education.